Donating Blood

"A GIFT OF BLOOD IS A GIFT OF LIFE"

I just had a first time moment today. Yes, I donated blood! My first time to donate. Papa told us to donate blood. He told us that he bought blood for my grand-father at Red Cross when he got sick so we have to replace the blood with ours. I don't think there's nothing wrong with that since they say donating blood is good for the health. I thought I would faint when I saw the needle during the blood letting process. I can't imagine I have a strong heart haha! Blood donation is really not for fainted heart, so assess yourself first. Anyway, it does not hurt that much. During the hemoglobin process the needle caught me off guard, it hurts for a short period.


source
Here are the reasons why donating blood is good for you.
  • Blood donation is an excellent way to reduce the amount of iron accumulated in our body. While iron is, without doubt, a necessary mineral, excess iron can stimulate the formation of free radicals, which can cause damage to body tissues. Free radicals are also associated with cancer. The excess iron brings about oxidization of cholesterol, which is harmful for the arteries. Hemochromatosis is a genetic disease characterized by excess accumulation of iron in the tissues due to improper metabolism. The disease damages many important organs, such as the pancreas, adrenal glands, etc. It may also cause diabetes, liver disease and heart diseases. Donating blood on a regular basis helps regulate the level of iron in the donor's body. Studies have shown that regular blood donation can be beneficial for the circulatory system and can reduce the risk of heart diseases.
source

  • Blood donation also sheds extra calories and reduces blood cholesterol level. After donating blood, the number of blood cells in our body decreases. This stimulates the bone marrow to produce new, fresh red blood cells in order to replenish the loss. 

After donating, the volunteered nurse told me to drink a lot of fluids especially water and I have to avoid drinking caffeinated drinks as well as sodas. I shouldn't carry heavy things using my left hand and if in the event the injected part swells, I just have to do cold compress. I'm happy knowing that this day, I save one's life. 


PS. I can't hide the funny feeling with those students looking for volunteered people. Two students approached us and luckily we are there to donate blood. The Blood donation held at MOGCHS. They are 4th-year high school students by the way, and they needed at least 4 persons to donate blood. They say they will get a price from Red Cross hehe. And oh my sister didn't got the chance to donate since her BP is 100/60, it was normal but the girl refused to get her blood. I don't know why? Anyway, that's all! hehe

Comments

  1. haha, i wonder if my brother is one of the students. He is a 4th year HS also in MOGCHS. Well, i havent heard anything from him doing such a thing. haha.

    Congrats on you first time. It's true, you just save a life by donating your blood ;) Vampire :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure if your brother was there sheen haha! I don't know him and seen him physically haha! I think it would be best if you ask him.

    weeeeeeeeeee I love first times.. Thanks sheen. xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you :)

Popular posts from this blog

Feels like Home

5 Centimeters per Second

The Tailed Beast